Firstly it’s important to know that, what is the social and impact of social media. So basically the websites and applications that enable the user to create and share contents or to participate in social networking are called ‘social media’.
VARIOUS FIELDS OF IMPACT BY SOCIAL MEDIA
- POLITICS: A study claims that 62% of people get their news from the internet. In comparison to other media, social media plays a tremendous role in political campaigns also. Social media plays an increasing role in politics – first in the ultimately unsuccessful candidacy of Howard Dean in 2003, and then in the election of first American- African President in 2008.
- SOCIETY: Almost a quarter of the world’s population is now on Facebook. Social networking feeds public interactions and makes people more powerful. Thanks to the internet. Each person with a marginal view can feel that they are not alone. Researchers found that public endorsement is an action meant to satisfy other opinions.
- COMMERCE: It’s unusual to find an organization that doesn’t reach its customers through the social media platform. It helps them generate insights, stimulate demands, and create targeted product offerings. Fully implementing social technologies in the workplace eliminates boundary boundaries, removes silos, and helps create more skillful workers.
- WORLD OF WORK: Social media has a profound role in the hiring and recruitment of workers. 19% of managers make their decision based on information found on social media. LinkedIn is a social platform for those who are looking to stand out in their profession. It helps people to create and market personalized products.
- TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT: Job candidates who develop their skills based on the latest and most advanced social media techniques are far more employable. Social sharing encourages interaction providing an environment that fosters learning. Blogs, wikis, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. are now common tools for learning. Social media has increased participation in long-distance learning.
MORAL CHALLENGES AND IMPACT SOCIAL MEDIA
○ CYBERBULLYING: Teenagers have a need to fit in and to outdo others. This process was difficult long ago the advent of social media. Add Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube in a mix and you suddenly have teenagers who feel the pressure of growing fast. A researcher conducted a study that showed the effects of social media on bullying. 23% of teens in the research reported being targeted on social media and 15% said that they had bullied someone on the social platform. Teenagers misuse social media to spread rumors, share videos that aim to destroy someone’s reputation and to blackmail others.
○ LACK OF PRIVACY: Stalking, identity theft, and personal attacks and misuse of information are some of the threats faced by social media users. Users themselves are to be blamed because they end up sharing contents that should not be in the public’s eye at first place. The confusion arises from the lack of understanding of how to private and public personal stuff on the social platform. Unfortunately, by the time personal information is deleted, it’s usually too late and can cause problems in personal and professional lives of people.